The recommended intake of water is 8 cups of water a day. Another way to figure out how much water you need to consume each day is to use the following equation:
0.5 oz. x your body weight (lbs.) = daily fluid requirement in ounces
Adequate water consumption is needed to make your brain, body, and kidneys function properly. Some of the benefits that water has on the body are:
- It helps you to feel full (drink before a meal, so you don’t eat as much. That is if you are trying to lose weight or don’t want to overeat)
- Prevents constipation (helps with the digestive system)
- Hydrates your skin
- Its good for lubricating your joints and helping to make your muscles work harder
If you don’t like plain water then add some flavoring to it. Some healthy options are:
- slice up some cucumbers and add to the water picther and let it sit in there over night
- squeeze some lemons in your water
- use the crystal light sugar free flavoring packets
- there are other sugar free options to flavor your water and make sure you are staying healthy
I have found one of the best tools to tracking my progress of diet and exercise is through online apps. The one I mainly use is www.myfitnesspal.com. Myfitnesspal is a site where you can track your food, exercise (sets, reps, duration), it calculates the amount of calories, fat, etc you have consumed by the food you have eaten and tells you if you are within your daily caloric intake or not. Going through a few of my nutrition classes I had to use this site to do some of my course work. Here are some other FREE online sites to help track your progress:
I personally love milk, but it makes my stomach ache whenever I drink it. A friend of mine told me about almond milk and I tried it and loved it. I also found it that it has a lot of benefits. This almond milk is lactose free, so it is good for people like me who cannot handle the lactose in the regular milk. Almond milk also has flavanoids which lower the LDL Cholesterol (which is the bad cholesterol). This milk also has no saturated fats, it has many vitamins and nutrients, and also has antioxidants which can prevent cancer. Best of all almond milk can be used in any recipe that calls for milk. Almond milk does have a bit sweeter taste than regular milk, but it has less calories and makes me feel so much better after drinking it than when I drink regular milk. Try it out!!!
There are many ways to track your progress. One way is to keep a fitness journal. If you can’t afford to purchase one at places like GNC, Books-A-Million, Barnes and Noble, etc, you can make your own on the computer or you can just write this information down in a notebook. Here are some things to include on your fitness journal pages:
Cardio: Type of cardio, duration, speed, calories burned
Weight training: type of exercise, body part worked (muscles worked), sets, reps
You also want to note:
- how you felt after the exercises
- if you had a workout partner
- when you started the workout
- when you finished
Within this journal you can include a food journal (Include):
- how many calories they consist of
- fat grams, protein
- how many glasses of water you have had to drink
- if you have consumed vitamins or any other supplements
This food journal can help you track your progress. This can help you to see what you are doing right and wrong. What works for you and what doesn’t.
While trying to lose weight it is easy to get discouraged and give up. Results don’t happen over night, so you have to keep going and find motivation to push on. Some easy ways to motivate yourself are:
1. Keep a journal of your workouts – notice that energy you have when you have completed that energizing workout and write it down. It will make you want to do it again the next day.
2. Set small manageable goals and when you reach them, reward yourself. – make the reward a manicure or pedicure or something that is related to treating yourself, non-food related.
3. Find a workout buddy. – Agree to meet your workout buddy each day at the gym, so that you cannot say no to the gym.
4. Don’t get so infatuated with the scale that, that is only thing you think about.
– think about how your clothes fit, the health benefits of getting in shape, etc…
5. Cheat every now and then. – Don’t deprive yourself of the foods you love, just eat them in moderation and maybe have them on your cheat day.
Tell me…What motivates you?